COLLEGE COACH INTERVIEWS
- WHAT’S IT LIKE TO PLAY COLLEGE GOLF?
- WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET A SCHOLARSHIP?
- WHAT IS THE TEAM’S PHILOSOPHY?
- WHAT KIND OF PLAYERS ARE THEY LOOKING FOR?
- EVERY ASPIRING COLLEGE PLAYER (AND PARENT) SHOULD LISTEN
COLLEGE COACH INTERVIEWS
If you are a young golfer aspiring to play college golf, or a parent looking for insights into how to best help your juniors play at the college level, please listen to our interview with coach Conrad Ray of the Stanford Men’s Golf Program.
CONRAD RAY of STANFORD UNIVERSITY
Enjoy this interview as young golfers from our Junior Academy get a unique opportunity to ask questions of Conrad. In this interview you’ll get answers to questions like …
- How many scholarships are available (for men’s and women’s teams), and how does that affect the size of the team?
- What do college players work on the majority of their time during practice?
- How much time do college players spend on their game?
- What advice would a college coach give to an aspiring young player?
- What is the difference between a scholarship and a non-scholarship player?
- What yardages do college players play from?
- What age do coaches start recruiting?
- What is the best way for high school players to connect with a college coach?
- At what age should juniors start reaching out to college coaches?
- What sort of scores do college players shoot?
- Besides scores, what other things do college coaches look at for their players?
- How often do college players play in tournaments?
- What is a typical week’s schedule for a college player?
- What grade point average does a high school student need?
- What can young players do to help their game when they are not on the course or range?
- How difficult is it to play two sports in college?
- Is it important to be a multi-sport athlete, or is it better to specialize at an early age in golf?
Coach McDaniel offers advice for both junior golfers and parents about how her program works, how she recruits, how she organizes her practice sessions, and much more.
NANCY MCDANIEL of CAL BERKELEY
Nancy McDaniel has been the Head Coach of the Cal Berkeley Women’s Golf Team for over 20 years.She answers questions from our Junior Academy golfers about what it takes to play golf for one of the top Division I Women’s programs in the country. Our Junior Academy golfers got some great advice from Coach Nancy to questions such as:
- How are Women’s college teams different than Men’s teams?
- How do scholarships work on a Woman’s team?
- What does she look for in her players?
- How good do you have to play to earn a scholarship?
- What is a good FIT for her team?
- What do they focus on in practice?
- How do they prep for a tournament?
- How do they use competition in practice?
- What is a Playbook and how do they use it?
Great information for aspiring juniors and parents alike.